Monday, October 22, 2007

WEGS At The Movies (WATM)...

The last four posts were all movie reviews - no, I haven't forsaken gaming. I've been vegging out with some horror flix the last couple of days to get me into the Halloween spirit. Watching good action/horror flicks is almost as much fun as gaming. They almost all boil down to an adventuring party with different weapons/skills who set off to face impossible odds. The first third of the movie is the character creation, the remaining two thirds is the encounter and resolution stuffing and frenzied dice rolling.

For as long as I can remember, I watch movies with WEGS in mind. I'm sure other folks do this for their own game systems, too. I'm always asking "How does WEGS handle this encounter?" I find that horror and adventure movies are easy to break down into a WEGS inning structure. Movie storylines are (mostly) chronological and the blow-by-blow action/fight scenes fall right into the game flow. I've always said to folks who don't understand this type of gaming that:

It's like playing your favorite movie, but the ending is up to the dice.

No comments: