Thursday, October 4, 2007

Three Innings Out...

Over the summer, at Origins specifically, we were running a Wegshog Round Robin (a session where each player has his hero character and a random group of minions to command). During these games we go head-to-head trying to prove who's the better player. The banter amongst the Wegshogs turns playfully vicious. This isn't just an in-game phenomenon, though - we're constantly berating each other every chance we get...

Now as some of you know, WEGS is played in innings, with a top and a bottom. Just like in baseball, one team goes and then the other. End of inning. As I recall this specific game, I was singlehandedly winning a two-front assault from Bob and Willy the 2. In my cocky "what did you expect, I created the game" way, I berated them prior to every roll of the dice. In an effort to make sure they realized who their daddy was I launched lengthy criticisms of why they sucked at playing the game and why I was, naturally, the better player. The crux of my argument was that:

I played the game three innings out...

At length I explained how (1) they only thought of their strategy the moment they picked up their dice on their turn, (2) that they had no concept of the word strategy, and (3) that I could actually start another game with some other players while I waited for them to finish a game I had already won last inning (which was still two innings away). It was great fun while it lasted, but needless to say, the "three innings out" line has been thrown in my face time and time again since then.

You can't win all of the games all of the time, but when the dice behave like proper steeds and allow you to command them to pull your chariot of the gods across the sky, ride it well into the night and drink heartily from the mighty cup of Hubris. Just know that the dice will abandon you as is their whim, and you will fall Icarus-esque to the feet of your friends who will then take turns plucking each and every feather out of your battered wings.

No comments: