Friday, November 30, 2007

Dark Tower Days, Part 4

November was a flippin' crazy month - two big cons, game competition, in-store demos and Thanksgiving... Lots and lots of gaming from beginning to end. I think I know the reason I'm dragging lately. Mid-week, I ran a great session of Escape From The Dwarf Lord's Tomb for the Garden State Gaming Society. Generally, I try to limit the number of players in games to 6. Madly, I bumped the player limit to 9 so the game had the true Lord Of The Rings fellowship feel. All the Arks in play were playful variations of the book (substituting WEGS Gnobbits for Hobbits). Come game time, we had eight players. The one character that wasn't represented - Frodo the Ringbearer. So, the Ring went to the Dwarf Warrior at the start. It was an interesting way to re-tell this tale... Despite the number of players, the game ran smoothly with the slightest drag. All players were top-notch (four had played before, four were new), but the entire group was experienced tabletop gamers, which probably accounted for the speed of play. Love playin' with the pros!

Some fun stuff I did in this session (for those of you who are active players):

Wicked Success:
Bumped to 01% - 05%. Doesn't seem like much, but it made a difference!

Spoint Replenishment:
Players could get additional spoints by putting their Insanity on the line. Players could roll 1D6 and 1D10 at the Spante. The D6 score was the number of spoints recovered. The D10 score was the number of Insanity points received. Gave the game a great "on edge" feel.

The game ran for two encounters only - and I got my head handed to me both times. The Arks were definately showing some wear/tear by the end, tho'! It was a great way to end a month crammed with gaming!

Now, about December...

No comments: