Friday, June 22, 2007

The Midnite Quicky..., Part 1

Way, way back in 2006, I had the brilliant idea to start doing special WEGS convention games that started at midnite. That's the perfect time to begin a game, right? I thought so - but then again I was a midnight movie cultist back in my high school and college days. From Eraserhead to Pink Flamingos to RHPS to Romero's Zombie Trilogy (Night, Day, Dawn) to Bloodsucking Freaks (yeah, regretably) to 1960 3D fests. Nothing beat the midnite movies.

In my mind midnite was the perfect time to do a two hour quick-hit game of WEGS. Since the game has a cinematic punch with easily digestable plotlines, it would be the ultimate night cap. What I failed to factor in was the fact that this would be at the end of a day where I did nothing but demo-ed WEGS, taught WEGS, ate WEGS and played WEGS. It would be like going to a midnite movie after watching them all day while standing on your feet...

Yeah, the first couple rocked. The games went according to plan and had the exact ambiance that a midnite game should have. They had that secret vibrant glow that only starts in the dark of a new day with the only threat being dawn... Or something like that. But the problem... The problem was that they were anything but quick... The games were supposed to be two hour quick fixes - but they went on for three hours at least. Sometimes four hours. The games were awesome, but the plan was flawed.

Careful the things you wish for, my friends...

To be continued...

No comments: