Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Lay Of The Land, Part 5...

When I started this thread, my intent was to detail my initial steps forward into the gaming convention scene and my WEGS playtests at conventions. Somehow this thread has become the story of how I became a game geek and my gaming backstory... We're finally at the point where I threw in the towel with D&D and picked up my Warhammer.

By the mid-90s, I had surrounded myself with a bunch of gamer friends who I introduced to basic Dungeons & Dragons. Our group had 10 solid players and 5 "guest" players (folks who didn't have the true enthusiasm for the game but who feigned interest for the sake of hanging out). Good times - but after a year into it, I was bored. I needed a new game. I just so happened to get one for Christmas 1995. Fortunately, it was the wrong one... For some reason, and I still can't figure this one out, my in-laws gave me the D&D boxed world setting Dark Sun (I think that was the name). Of all folks to give me gaming material, my in-laws would be way on the bottom of the list. In-laws just shouldn't go there!

Unlike the Christmas Eve fifteen years prior when I got the D&D blue box, I didn't immediately open this box. I didn't peel off the shrink wrap. I just looked at it, felt the weight of the box and politely said, "Thanks!". A week later I returned it to the store from whence it came. I just couldn't do it. I didn't want to read a whole new world setting by someone who wasn't Tolkien. I guess I was just jaded. I dunno. In my heart, the D&D hobby was dead.

The store would only offer me credit for the game - so that meant I had to buy something. I meandered to the roleplaying game shelves and started to peruse. I knew my money would not go back into D&D - and that's when I spotted that behemoth rulebook known as Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play.

Or, simply, WFRP.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Kennon said...

I have a copy of Darksun just for the art. That's what put Brom on the map.