Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A 250 Page Problem...

Back in 2006, WEGS Copper had a problem.

It was weighing in at 250+ pages, pre art.

I discussed this with my wife who summed up the issue thusly:

"No one wants to read a 200 page book in order to play a game!"

Well, she was wrong...

There are folks who love this stuff. They're called gamers!

But she was 100% correct that those folks weren't the kind I had designed this game for. WEGS was about getting people together on short notice and whipping up a quick adventure game. It wasn't about cracking open a massive rule book. Folks should be able to walk up to a game table, grab some dice and play - especially folks who wouldn't normally play this type of game.

The problem with Copper was that I had gone overboard with the details. I had included extra rules and special skills that weren't really needed in an intro book.

Essentially, I had written Part 2 and forgot to pen Part 1, the introduction.

And so, the cracks began to form on my GenCon 2006 release plan...

Continued tomorrow...

No comments: