Friday, September 14, 2007

A Little Trip To Triadcon...

For those of you following my exciting travels from con to con, I hit Triadcon in Maryland last weekend. This was a solo endeavor, sans Wegshogs. Never been to this one, but it looked ok from the website - where it promised a small and friendly atmosphere. It also had a superb online event listing, but no pre-registration. The website made the con look better than it was - but I was not disappointed. It was nice to be at a no-pressure con.

It's always dicey hitting a con for the first time and you never know what to expect. I had four games on the schedule, of which only two ran. So, I ended up with lots of downtime. One such gap allowed me to sit down with Mel W. and be introduced to the game Agon, which has really cool design elements and character progression options. It's ancient greek hero-mythos that neatly entwines character creation, advancement and story-telling challenges for some super results. It's def a game that I'll be buying and playing. Thanks, Mel!

The WEGS 101 games were placed right by the entrance to the "rpg flea market", so lots of folks passed by all day. The con kinda cleared out at night. I think I was a little shocked by the lack of college age folks attending the con (being that the con was held at the University of Maryland). All in all, it was a slow-paced con that does not have a big role-player base yet. I'd be tempted to do it again next year if time allows.

One of the funniest things about this con was that the games were held in the dining halls that surrounded a central cafeteria. The perimeter of each room had a conveyor belt system to put empty cafeteria trays on which then traveled around the room to the central kitchen area. Luckily, the room I was in was not actively using this device, however the rooms other games were held in had the apparatus in full swing. All day long, discarded trays with leftovers went chunking by the gamers. Lots o' fun!

No comments: