Sunday, January 13, 2008

Business Suff-Jan 2008

This year is off to a busy start. Lots o' projects lining up on the runway, in addition to many business-based responsibilities (like taxes, 1099s, distribution, summer con planning). Projects include: the official WEGS 101 Skill Card deck, Pirates of Penzantium deck + game book, Big Bang Mudang game book. And, oh yeah, a little book called WEGS Copper (that's three years late...). I'm hoping to release one new product per month until May (but that will be tough).

For me, the winter months are the best time to be productive. I just wish the weather would start behaving like winter to keep me indoors more. Nothing like having no option but to stay inside and focus on getting things done. January is also my time to plan out the rest of the year for convention-hopping. The summer is a killer with one big con after another - and you have to plan NOW for it. Aside from coming up with the game schedules for each con and hitting those deadlines, there's the logistics of getting there (and getting your product there, too). This is the first year we'll be selling at cons, so there's a whole learning curve with that, not to mention the added expense of the table!

Looking back at last year, I've come to realize the stress of getting a single product to market. There's so much work associated with printing/distributing a single book. Most of the stress hit pre-publication (just getting the book done and off to the printer). Once you're through it once though, you learn. You're not as nervous about the process. I'm looking forward to each of my upcoming projects for this reason. It's not nearly as daunting. I've been through the cycle once. It's stressful, yeah - but a heck of a lot of fun, too.

And yeah... "suff"...

As in "suffering"...

The game part is fun. The business side I could do without...

2 comments:

A.P. Klosky said...

Hey Larry--

Wanted to let you know that while my old roommate was back in town this weekend, the WittKids threw down some WEGS, with hilarious results.

Saturday, we played through Dwarf Walks... with characters each based around...well, flavor.

Then, Sunday, I ended up writing my own scenario: a trip through the sewers of Eastern Rumplundia, that later got called "One Shitty Adventure".

Best quote? "Nothing down here but cockroaches and adventurers..."

El Willy said...

Sounds like a full WEGS weekend - niiiiice! Great quote, too!